SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer and was created in the 1990’s that creates encryption between a web server and a person’s web browser. It allows for private information to be sent over the web without issues of message forgery, data tampering or eavesdropping.
Enabling SSL on a website requires an SSL Certificate to be installed on the web server. Once properly installed, the URL of the site can be changed from http:// to https:// and a green padlock icon will show on the web address bar.
What are the Benefits of Having an SSL Certificate?
Here are the Top 5 Reasons for having an SSL Certificate:
1. Shows professionalism and brings customers peace of mind.
2. The SSL keeps sensitive information sent across the internet encrypted so only the intended recipient can understand it. This includes credit card info for instance. The green bar or lock icon makes visitors more likely to trust you and buy from you.
3. Having an SSL means the company has been verified by the SSL issuing entity. This prevents third parties from acting as an imposter and stealing your info. For instance, it reduces the possibility of phishing since the third party will have trouble receiving an SSL of your company.
4. If you want to obtain credit card information on your ecommerce site, an SSL certificate is mandatory.
5. RANKINGS – Google has publicly stated in 2014 that having an SSL certificate will give you a ranking boost. Google says it wants to encourage all website owners to switch to keep everyone safe on the web. While a small factor so far, they have stated it will be a larger factor in the future.
How to Install an SSL Certificate?
There are five steps to installing an SSL certificate. It’s fairly technical, and in all likelihood much easier just to let us install it for you!
Generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR). This is generated on the server.
Order the SSL certificate – we offer SSL certificates from reputable services including GeoTrust and Comondo. Our experts will install the SSL on the server along with performing the other functions.
Download the SSL certificate.
Upload the SSL certificate to the server.
Testing the certificate.
Let Small Business Web Pros install the SSL certificate for you, make it easy.
Is an SSL Certificate compatible with all browsers?
The SSL certificates offered by Small Business Web Pros are compatible with 99% of all website browsers. Browser recognition means that the SSL root certificates are pre-installed on 99% of browsers, which is the highest rate in the industry!